No matter how organised you are, it’s almost impossible to remember to do everything that needs doing when you move home. That’s why U-Move do our best to help. Read our house moving checklist below to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.
One month before you move
- Packing – The process of packing up your home seems like it can go on for ever. Start early with the things that you rarely use or need. Make sure you label all boxes clearly so our removers know where they should go in your new home. Balance boxes by mixing heavy and light goods to protect the boxes (and our removers) from extra strain.
- Finances and admin – Contact your banks, credit card companies, store card operators, direct debit companies, schools, inland revenue, national insurance office, DVLA, doctor, dentist, optician, vet, accountant, solicitors and any other people that need to know your address and inform them of where you are moving and the date on which the move will take place.
- Contact the post office to arrange a mail redirection service for any mail that arrives after you have left.
Useful phone numbers and websites:
- TV Licensing: 0870 242 3349 click here for more information about tv licensing
- DVLA: 0300 790 6801 click here for information about changing your details on your driving license
- HM Customs and Excise: 0845 302 1479 or click here to inform HM Customs and Excise of your address change
- Post office – The post office offer a range of address change services and mail redirecting services. Click here to find a suitable service for you.
- British Gas home movers advice line – 0645 555 408. Click here for the British gas home movers website page.
One week before you move
- Contact your utility providers and the local council and ensure that you give them your change of address details and the date that you are moving out so that they can send you your final bills and to ensure you are not charged for gas, water, electricity and council tax after the date that you leave your home.
- Ensure that you collect your last dry cleaning, return library books and other loaned items, and ensure that you arrange childcare and pet care away from your home on the day of your move.
- Settle any local accounts such as your milk and newspaper deliveries and accounts with local shopkeepers.
Two to three days before you move
- Pack your moving day necessities such as change of clothes, underwear, essential toiletries along with light bulbs, toilet rolls, candles, screwdrivers, fuses, towels, cash to pay any bills needed on the day.
- Finish your laundry and ensure that it is dried before you pack the last of it. Make sure that arrangements for handing over keys and picking up keys to your new home are made and checked.
- Defrost, dry and air your fridge and freezer. If you are moving locally and wish to have your frozen foods remain cooled, place them in clear polythene bags so that they can be quickly moved. Seal any packets, jars, bottles and Tupperware with waterproof tape to avoid spillages.
The day before you move
- Finish the last of your packing, arrange food for moving day as your oven and fridge will be disconnected early. Pack your kettle, toaster and the rest of your kitchenware.
The moving day
- Meet the U-Move team and allow us to make your day as easy as possible. Be on-hand to make sure you’re happy with everything. When we’ve finished taking your goods out to the removal lorries, take time to make a final check of your home and make sure you haven’t left anything behind.
- Then lock the windows, back doors and check the garage. Finally, lock up and make your way to your new home. When you arrive, we’ll place everything where you want it. When we’ve finished, you will be given a sign-off sheet to say that you’re happy with the job and everything is satisfactory for you.